- This event has passed.
TRAINING: Cultural Awareness – Hobart
February 22 @9:30 am - 12:30 pm
One event on 08/03/18 at 9:00am
One event on 12/04/18 at 9:00am
One event on 10/05/18 at 9:30am
One event on 28/06/18 at 9:30am
Cultural Awareness Training provides the foundational knowledge and understanding needed to work effectively with people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
This 3 hour workshop will cover:
- the broad concepts of ‘culture’ and cultural awareness
- definitions and terms used in migration contexts
- immigration to Australia and Tasmania
- Tasmania’s current demographics, including diversity in languages and religions
- experiences of people subject to forced migration
- common refugee experiences prior to arrival in Australia
- basic definitions regarding trauma
- cross-cultural communication skills
- communication variations across cultures
- awareness about working with interpreters, and
- the Migrant Resource Centre Tasmania and Phoenix Centre services
Who should attend?
This is a core workshop for anyone working with, or intending to work with, people from a Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) background.
Appropriate for people working within education, health, youth or community sectors.
It is strongly recommended that interested participants complete the Cultural Awareness Training workshop prior to other workshops offered by MRC Tasmania. The foundational knowledge and understandings gained in this training will provide you with better grounding for more in-depth workshops.
Half day training (up to 4 hours on the same day) is $120 (full fee) or $100 (concession)
Full day training (up to 8 hours on the same day) is $220 (full fee) or $180 (concession)
Registrants will be forwarded an invoice prior to the training.Register