Becoming a citizen of Australia is a new chapter.
Citizens have rights and responsibilities to Australia and its people.
MRC Tas can help you to:
- apply for citizenship, by providing information and support with forms
- prepare for the test by taking part in citizenship groups
- be an active citizen – receive information about how to vote in elections
If you’re interested in supporting new Tasmanians to prepare for citizenship please volunteer
Please note the Home Affairs information about changes in citizenship applications and ceremonies due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Download the flyer about MRC Tas citizenship program here.
- Tasmanians from a humanitarian background need to have been a permanent resident for 4 years before your application
- Check your eligibility here
- You will need to fill out a form, pay the fee online and later you will be invited to an interview and you will need to pass the citizenship test
- You need to create an Immi Account to pay for your citizenship application
- You need to check your email regularly for any updates or enquiries about your application
- Call MRC Tas on 03 6221 0999 for information about citizenship, or call with an interpreter by calling 131 450 and asking for your language
- Check MRC Tas event calendar for citizenship information sessions and study groups
- Register for Digi Drop-In at the event calendar – a casual computer skills group at MRC Tas:
- Set up an email account and practice reading and sending emails
- Set up an Immi Account
- Complete your citizenship application online
- Australian Government information about citizenship
- Citizenship book “Our Common Bond” download in English and other languages
- Form 1300t General Eligibility – citizenship application form including instructions
- Form 1290 Other Situations – for people aged 16-17 years, over 60 years or with medical or physical impairments
- Watch citizenship videos on YouTube
- Listen to the Australian Government Department’s “Our Common Bond” podcast
- Volunteer to support new Tasmanians apply and study for citizenship (training provided)