Becoming a citizen of Australia is a new chapter.
Citizens have rights and responsibilities to Australia and its people.
MRC Tas can help you to:
- apply for citizenship, by providing information and support with forms
- prepare for the test by taking part in citizenship groups
- be an active citizen – receive information about how to vote in elections
If you’re interested in supporting new Tasmanians to prepare for citizenship please volunteer
Please note the Home Affairs information about changes in citizenship applications and ceremonies due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- You need to have been a permanent resident for 4 years before your application
- You need to submit a form, pay the fee, and pass the test
- You need to create an Immi Account to pay for your citizenship application.
- Government information about citizenship: immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship/test-and-interview/overview
- Citizenship book download in English and other languages: immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship/test-and-interview/our-common-bond
- Form 1300t General Eligibility: immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/form-listing/forms/1300t.pdf
- Form 1290 Other Situations (for example: aged 16 – 17 years, over 60 years, or have a medical impairment): immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/form-listing/forms/1290.pdf
- Citizenship book on YouTube: immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship/test-and-interview/watch-our-common-bond-video
- Volunteer to support our soon-to-be citizens – all training is provided: mrctas.org.au/volunteer/