- This event has passed.
Working with CALD Youth training – LAUNCESTON
22/11/18 @9:00 am - 5:00 pm
One in four Australian young people are from a refugee or migrant background. Their engagement as active citizens in Australian society has significant and long-term benefits for each young person, their families, communities, and a diverse and socially cohesive Australia.
However, young people from refugee and migrant backgrounds often face particular challenges in accessing the support and opportunities they need. Their settlement needs are distinct from adults and they commonly face additional and more complex transitions than their Australian-born counterparts.
Hosting this workshop is MYAN TAS. This workshop is guided by the National Youth Settlement Framework (NYSF) (the first of its kind in Australia), and will enable participants to respond more effectively to specific needs of young people from refugee and migrant backgrounds.
Migrant Resource Centre Tasmania (MRC Tas) Youth Program Team Leader, the MRC Tas Training Coordinator and young people with a lived experience of migrating to Australia, from the MYAN Tasmania Youth Advisory Group.
The workshop will:
- Cover the demographics of CALD youth in Tasmania
- Discuss the humanitarian settlement program in Tasmania
- Explore cultural identity
- Introduce the National Youth Settlement Framework
- Explore experiences of young people in the settlement journey
- Identify common challenges faced by all young people
- Improve understanding to facilitate good youth settlement through active citizenship
- Apply good practice capabilities
- Provide information on services and resources available in the Tasmanian youth sector
Participants can expect an interactive workshop, with exploration and discussion of case studies, and application of practical guides and resources. Participants will receive a copy of the National Youth Settlement Framework (NYSF) and an attendance certificate.
Who should attend this training?
People working with young people from a refugee or migrant background, including asylum seekers. Appropriate for people working within an education, health or community setting, youth sector and sports and recreation sector.
Upcoming training dates: Thursday 22nd November, 9am-5pm, MRC Tasmania’s northern office, 27 Paterson St Launceston
Contact: For more information, contact Sally Thompson firstname.lastname@example.org or (03) 6221 0999.