- This event has passed.
TRAINING: Working with people from a Refugee background – Launceston
21/03/18 @12:30 pm - 4:30 pm$120
The Working with people from a Refugee background workshop will provide participants with greater in-depth knowledge and understanding needed to work effectively with people from a refugee like or asylum seeker background.
This 4 hour workshop will cover:
- Australia’s part in the international refugee settlement programme
- A framework for understanding work with refugees and asylum seekers
- Experiences of people from a refugee background, both prior to arrival in Tasmania and during resettlement
- The link between what people have been through, the sorts of issues and behaviours they may present with, and how to work in a way that fosters feelings of trust, safety and control, while minimising the risk of re-traumatisation
- Awareness and strategies to identify torture and trauma experience signs and symptoms
- Referral pathways to appropriate services
- Culturally appropriate assessment and interview resources
- An appropriate model of recovery used to work with people from a refugee background, and
- The Migrant Resource Centre and Phoenix Centre services
Who should attend?
This is an in-depth workshop for anyone providing direct service to, or working with, people from a refugee, asylum seeker or refugee-like background.
Appropriate for people working within education, health, youth or community sectors.
It is strongly recommended that interested participants complete the Cultural Awareness Training workshop prior to this workshop. The foundational knowledge and understandings gained in that training will provide you with better grounding for this workshop.
Half day training (up to 4 hours on the same day) is $120 (full fee)/$100 (concession)
Full day training (up to 8 hours on the same day) is $220 (full fee)/$180 (concession)
Registrants will be forwarded an invoice prior to the training.Register