This Working with children from a Refugee Background workshop will provide participants with greater in-depth knowledge and understanding needed to work effectively with children and young people from a refugee like or asylum seeker background, or whose family members have lived experience of a refugee like background.
This 4 hour workshop will cover:
- Australia’s part in the international refugee settlement programme
- experiences of children from a refugee background, both prior to arrival in Tasmania and during resettlement
- educational experiences prior to arrival in Tasmania
- effect of trauma on children, individuals and families
- impact of trauma on children’s learning and wellbeing
- the link between what children have been through, the sorts of issues and behaviours they may present with, and how to work in a way that fosters feelings of trust, safety and control, while minimising the risk of re-traumatisation
- awareness and strategies to identify torture and trauma experience signs and symptoms
- referral pathways to appropriate services
- culturally appropriate assessment and interview resources
- strategies that support the recovery process (adaptable for use in classrooms)
- an appropriate model of recovery and a framework used to work with children from a refugee background, and
- the Migrant Resource Centre Tasmania and Phoenix Centre services
Who should attend?
This is an in-depth workshop for anyone providing direct service to, or working with, children from a refugee, asylum seeker or refugee-like background.
Appropriate for people working within education, health, youth or community sectors.
It is strongly recommended that interested participants complete the Cultural Awareness Training workshop prior to this workshop. The foundational knowledge and understandings gained in that training will provide you with better grounding for this workshop.
Upcoming workshop dates:
There are currently no workshops scheduled for this training module. Please contact Rebecca Lamb email@example.com
Migrant Resource Centre Tasmania, KGV Sports and Community Centre, Level 2, 1A Anfield St Glenorchy TAS 7010
Migrant Resource Centre Tasmania, 27 Paterson Street Launceston TAS 7250
Half day training (up to 4 hours on the same day) is $120 (full fee)/$100 (concession)
Full day training (up to 8 hours on the same day) is $220 (full fee)/$180 (concession)
Participants will be forwarded an invoice after the training.Register