Cultural Awareness Training provides the foundational knowledge and understanding needed to work effectively with people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
This 3 hour workshop will cover:
- the broad concepts of ‘culture’ and cultural awareness
- definitions and terms used in migration contexts
- immigration to Australia and Tasmania
- Tasmania’s current demographics, including diversity in languages and religions
- experiences of people subject to forced migration
- common refugee experiences prior to arrival in Australia
- basic definitions regarding trauma
- cross-cultural communication skills
- communication variations across cultures
- awareness about working with interpreters, and
- the Migrant Resource Centre Tasmania and Phoenix Centre services
Who should attend?
This is a core workshop for anyone working with, or intending to work with, people from a Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) background.
Appropriate for people working within education, health, youth or community sectors.
It is strongly recommended that interested participants complete the Cultural Awareness Training workshop prior to other workshops offered by MRC Tasmania. The foundational knowledge and understandings gained in this training will provide you with better grounding for more in-depth workshops.
Upcoming workshop dates:
Thursday 22nd of February, 9.30am – 12.30pm, Glenorchy (THIS SESSION IS NOW FULL)
Thursday 8th of March, 9am – 12pm, Glenorchy (Incidental counselling, offered in the afternoon of Thu 8th March)
Wednesday 21st of March, 9am to 12pm, Launceston (Working with people from a Refugee Background, offered in the afternoon of Wed 21st March)
Thursday 12th of April, 9am to 12pm, Glenorchy School Holidays (Working with people from a Refugee Background, offered in the afternoon of Thu 12th April)
Tuesday 17th of April, 9am to 12pm, Launceston School Holidays (Working with children from a Refugee Background, offered in the afternoon of Thu 17th April)
Thursday 10th of May, 9.30am – 12.30pm, Glenorchy (Working in Health Settings with people from a CALD background, offered in the afternoon of Thu 10th May)
Wednesday 23rd of May, 9.30am to 12.30pm, Launceston (Incidental counselling, offered in the afternoon of Wed 23rd May)
Thursday 28th of June, 9.30am to 12.30pm, Glenorchy
Migrant Resource Centre Tasmania, KGV Sports and Community Centre, Level 2, 1A Anfield St Glenorchy TAS 7010
Migrant Resource Centre Tasmania, 27 Paterson Street Launceston TAS 7250
Half day training (up to 4 hours on the same day) is $120 (full fee) or $100 (concession)
Full day training (up to 8 hours on the same day) is $220 (full fee) or $180 (concession)
Registrants will be forwarded an invoice prior to the training.Register